The Canadian Couch Potato Podcast is Here

I’m excited to announce that on Wednesday, November 30, we’ll be launching the Canadian Couch Potato podcast.

Each episode will feature an interview with a guest expert who will chat about a specific investing topic, and then I’ll review some takeaway messages from the discussion. I’ve also created a segment called “Bad Investment Advice,” where I poke fun at a specific bit of unhelpful commentary in the financial media. Finally, I wrap up with an Ask the Spud segment where, with the help of my PWL colleague Amanda Dalziel, I answer investing questions from listeners and blog readers.

(By the way, I’m always looking for new ideas for these segments, so if you’ve read or heard some crappy investment advice, or if you have a question related to index investing, please let me know.)

Our first episode will feature my friend and colleague Justin Bender. We reflect on our experiences developing our unique DIY Investor Service, where we helped clients build ETF portfolios they could manage on their own. That service (since discontinued) helped well over a hundred families and we received consistently great feedback. We learned a lot about what it takes to be a successful DIYer—but also what can go wrong.

We’re planning to crank out a new podcast every two weeks, and we’ve already got some great guests lined up for future episodes. I’ll be speaking with financial planner Sandi Martin, who will be familiar to anyone who follows Canadian personal finance blogs. And I’ll interview Lars Kroijer, a former hedge fund manager in the UK who now advocates indexing through a series of videos.

I’ve been a huge podcast fan for a few years now and have long wanted to do my own, but it’s not an easy project to do without a team of specialists. This never could have happened without the resources of PWL Capital, and without the expertise of our social media guru Tara Hunt and our producer Nick Jaworski  of Podcast Monster. We even got a real rock star to compose an original theme for the show. I think you’re going to like what you hear.

How to listen to the CCP Podcast

There are several ways you can tune into the podcast after its Wednesday launch (you will not be able to subscribe until after the launch):

Through the blog. When a new podcast episode is launched, I’ll do a blog post about it. Within that post will be a player with a direct link to the episode. All you need to do is click PLAY to stream the show. You’ll also be able to find past episodes on the new podcast page: just click the link on the blue navigation menu at the top.

appleOn your Apple devices. If you have an iPhone, iPad or Apple Watch, you can use the built-in podcast app to listen on your mobile device. Open the app and tap the magnifying glass at the bottom of the screen to access the Search function and type “Canadian Couch Potato” to find the podcast. Click the icon that appears and then subscribe so you’ll receive every episode automatically. You can also subscribe using the podcast feature in iTunes.

googleplayOn your Android devices. Open the Google Play app and click the menu button at the top left of the screen. Choose “Podcasts” from the menu, and then click the magnifying glass at the top right to access the search feature. Enter “Canadian Couch Potato,” click the icon that appears and then subscribe. (You’ll be asked some questions about how you want to be notified and updated about new episodes.)

Through another podcast app. If you’re an experienced podcast listener you may prefer to use a favourite app such as Stitcher or TuneIn. If you can’t find it on your favourite podcast app, let me know and we’ll try fix it.

18 Responses to The Canadian Couch Potato Podcast is Here

1. Cory November 28, 2016 at 10:40 am #

Another very popular podcasting app is PocketCasts. Looks like you can add your podcast to PocketCasts pretty easily: http://www.pocketcasts.com/submit

2. Scott November 28, 2016 at 11:54 am #

I second pocketcasts. Youtube is also great. Both allow you to speed up playback of podcasts so I can get through the podcast in half the time.

3. Alain Guillot November 28, 2016 at 12:04 pm #

What a great idea. I will subscribe and review it. Thank you. 🙂

4. Anthony November 28, 2016 at 12:08 pm #

Please take Cory’s advice and throw it up on PocketCasts. I am super excited for this podcast buuuuut I use PocketCasts.

5. kenny November 28, 2016 at 12:09 pm #

Hello, I use Pocket Casts and could not locate the podcast as well.

6. Joon November 28, 2016 at 12:11 pm #

Excited to listen! If it’s a fit for you, too, I would love to be interviewed on it. I’m a Canadian with a new book and blog. Link to book, reviews, etc, here: http://www.financialtipsforthebroke.com/ I mentioned CCP in the book 🙂

7. Simon November 28, 2016 at 12:22 pm #

I use “Podcast Player” (formerly “Player FM”) on Android and I can’t see it on there.

8. Marko Koskenoja November 28, 2016 at 12:45 pm #

I am looking forward to your podcasts. I have learned so much from both Dan and Justin’s writings. I credit you with my leap into DIY investing.

9. Marc November 28, 2016 at 12:48 pm #

I use Overcast and would love to listen to this podcast.

10. Canadian Couch Potato November 28, 2016 at 12:57 pm #

Thanks to everyone for your interest. I will do my best to make sure the podcast is available on all of the “podcatchers” you have mentioned. However, you won’t be able to subscribe anywhere until the actual launch date on Wednesday, November 30. Thanks for your patience, and lots more to come!

11. Ostrich November 28, 2016 at 12:59 pm #

Easiest thing to do would be to publish the link to the RSS feed, that will serve every single Android and iOS podcast app.

If you want a 1-click subscribe option that works with every Android and RSS reader you could also use this; http://subscribeonandroid.com/podcasters/

12. John November 28, 2016 at 1:23 pm #

unable to locate with castbox or google play

13. Erik November 28, 2016 at 2:30 pm #

Thanks Dan. I will be a listener for sure. Thanks again for your educational efforts over the years.

14. Alon November 28, 2016 at 3:39 pm #

Another vote for Overcast Dan. look forward to listening.

15. Fred November 28, 2016 at 5:38 pm #

Finding verbose commentary masquerading as solid investment advice is easy. All you have to do is get the transcript of practically any pundit appearing on financial tv who is asked to provide commentary on the future path of a given market. Most commentators are wise enough to measure their words and make it appear as though they have a solid handle on where a given market is heading when, in reality, they provided little information of substance. How could they do otherwise? Nobody knows where any market is heading. Of course, one could state that a given equity market is priced high by historical standards but that doesn’t mean it can’t go higher.

I look forward to your podcast. I use Overcast which is a very good podcast player.

16. Eric Escobar November 30, 2016 at 12:38 pm #

Fantastic initiative. I subscribed on Google Play.
    I normally use Podcast Addict, and can’t find the podcast there. Do you have to add it to each app?

17. Sam December 2, 2016 at 2:38 pm #

+1 for Pocket Casts! Looking forward to listening.

18. Patrick December 13, 2016 at 9:27 am #

@Eric Escobar: I also use Podcast Addict and I found Canadian Couch Potato through a straightforward search. Suggest you try again