Perfect Portfolio E-Book Now Available

The MoneySense Guide to the Perfect Portfolio—my how-to book for Canadian index investors—is now available in electronic formats. If you have an iPad, Kobo or Kindle you can now become a Couch Potato without even leaving the house. You can buy your very own e-book for just $4.99 by clicking one of the links below:

Apple iPad Edition

Kobo Edition

Amazon Kindle Edition

You can rebalance next week

In other international news, US stock exchanges are closed for the second day due to the dangers posed by Hurricane Sandy. If you were planning to make any ETF trades in your portfolio this week, you should be aware of how these closures might affect you. The Canadian ETF Association released the following notice yesterday:

Investors should expect wider than normal bid/ask spreads while the U.S. markets are closed and we recommend all investors exercise caution if trading.

Most Canadian listed ETFs which have exposure to U.S. securities can be traded today. Investors need to understand that the price they pay for these ETFs may not reflect the underlying net-asset-value of the ETF which cannot be accurately determined with U.S. markets closed.

In some circumstances, redemption and subscriptions of Canadian listed ETFs which have exposure to U.S. securities or indices may be halted. Please check with an ETF provider or your securities broker to determine to determine if which ETFs are affected.

Markets may be volatile even after trading resumes on Wednesday. Unless you have no choice, you may want to put off any portfolio activity for a few days until things settle down.

18 Responses to Perfect Portfolio E-Book Now Available

1. Mike Holman October 30, 2012 at 10:22 am #

Nice work on the e-books Dan.

I have a Kindle version of my book, but I need to get going on an iPad + Kobo version as well. The different formats are a pain.

2. Canadian Couch Potato October 30, 2012 at 10:29 am #

Thanks, Mike. It’s true the various formats are difficult: that’s one benefit of having a publisher who looks after this stuff. I got it on my Kobo Vox and it looks pretty great in full colour, I have to say!

3. Mike Holman October 30, 2012 at 11:54 am #

Ahh, so that’s what publishers do. ;)

Maybe I should get one.

4. CCP Fan October 30, 2012 at 12:21 pm #

Great! I just got the Kindle version. Thanks for making it available.

5. Melvin October 30, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

Hey Dan,

I was wondering if you have plans to eventually release a non-DRM version via PDF? I don’t own an iPad, Kobo or a Kindle. I know I can install the Kindle app on my PC and Android phone but I prefer not to be tied down to one particular platform. I’ve heard some horror stories regarding the Kindle store where user’s devices were remotely wiped and their accounts closed without warning or cause.

I’m also holding out on buying Mike’s Dividend book as well until the PDF version comes out this December.

Thanks!

6. Canadian Couch Potato October 30, 2012 at 2:53 pm #

@Melvin: The problem with PDFs is they’re easily pirated. The only way a publisher can control this is to stick to the formats with DRM. Sorry. There’s still the print edition!

7. Tommy October 30, 2012 at 10:01 pm #

Thanks for the warning about rebalancing

8. Chris October 30, 2012 at 10:12 pm #

@Dan: This is one place where I have to disagree with you. DRM probably hurts authors more than anyone else. I won’t repeat the arguments here, but they’re easy to find and worth reading. The short version is this: DRM is trivial to remove and won’t stop anyone who wasn’t going to purchase a legitimate copy. All it does is annoy your best customers, like Melvin.

I don’t copy anything but I remove the DRM from everything I buy to make it useful. And to ensure that the stuff I’ve legally purchased can’t be revoked on the whim of a CEO (read up on how bad Kindle is) or because some service goes bankrupt and takes your music with it (remember when WalMart’s music store went away?).

Before I clicked submit, I wanted to see if I was right. Yup, sure was. It took me only seconds to google & download a pdf version stripped of the DRM. *I’m not recommending anyone do this.* Pay the man for his excellent work.

That said, I gladly purchased the dead-tree edition and look forward to the next.

9. Canadian Couch Potato October 30, 2012 at 10:24 pm #

@Chris: You’re probably right, but the decision lies with my publisher (Rogers), not me.

In practical terms, I can’t imagine why anyone would want a PDF version of any book: it has to be the most impractical format for reading anything longer than a few pages, even on an iPad. The legitimate e-book versions are infinitely more user-friendly on a portable device.

Thanks for buying the book. I can only appeal to the conscience of my readers to do the same. The blog is free. The book is a bargain. If you feel the work has value, spring for the $5.

10. Craig October 30, 2012 at 10:48 pm #

I know this is maybe not something you can answer but I was wondering – if someone uses a coupon code on a website (like Kobo) and it knocks the cost of the book down – does that change how much the author makes or just how much ‘cut’ Kobo takes?

I usually try to get the lowest price but if it hurts an author that I want to support, like you, then I will just pay full price to support you!

Either way I am picking this up tonight. Congratulations on publishing this second edition (I bought the first in paper copy) and I’m excited to read about the changes.

11. Canadian Couch Potato October 30, 2012 at 10:53 pm #

@Craig: Thanks for asking! In a typical book contract the royalty is based on the list price, so getting a discount from the retailer dos not cut into the author’s earnings. The only time the royalty is reduced is when the book gets heavily discounted in a bulk sale of some kind.

Hope you enjoy the new edition. It’s not radically different from the first, but it has been thoroughly updated.

12. Melvin October 31, 2012 at 12:26 am #

Alright, I bit the bullet. I bought the Kindle version of your book!

I couldn’t find the print version locally anywhere and the shipping cost was killer. Nonetheless, looking forward to reading it tomorrow!

13. Canadian Couch Potato October 31, 2012 at 7:58 am #

@Melvin: Thanks for buying the book. If Amazon ever steals it back, you have my word that I will track down a PDF for you to replace it. :)

14. CCP Fan October 31, 2012 at 11:34 am #

I have bought many Kindle books (and got many free ones too). Maybe I’ve been lucky, but Amazon has never stolen back any of my books.

Anyway, I can only thank Dan for making his book available on the Kindle for an incredibly attractive price.

15. B October 31, 2012 at 12:28 pm #

I own a copy of the book (the 2011 edition) which I purchased through Zinio. If someone is worried about being locked to a particular platform, they might be worth a look. I can read my magazines on Android, iOS, as well as my computer (or several other platforms which I don’t use).

Though, as Chris says, one cannot say if/when Zinio goes belly-up I’ll still have access to the magazines that I have purchased.

16. Craig October 31, 2012 at 1:14 pm #

You can also read your Kobo edition on a Kobo or computer or iPad/iPhone or Android device as well. I’m not sure about Kindle edition but that is one of the benefits from buying through Kobo (and they often have discount codes available!)

17. Noel October 31, 2012 at 4:28 pm #

Your book was fantastic. I’ve recommended a strategy like yours to all my friends for years since I left Bay St. and will recommend they get this book and read it rather than explain it all to them (especially when they keep asking me what stocks are going up, lol). Sadly, few people will follow it. They will either be given the big sell job by their brokers, their high net worth money managers or financial advisors, or they’ll follow the strategy for a while and then get impatient and go back to their old ways.

18. Louis November 1, 2012 at 12:51 pm #

Just downloaded the ipad version. Great work Dan. I’ve been following your blog for a while now. Keep up the excellent work!